Organic farms abound in the Catskills region of New York and many top chefs from New York City have relocated here to open restaurants. The result? The Catskills and upstate NY is a dream destination for any foodie with dozens of delectable farm-to-table restaurants to choose from and endless culinary delights.
In fact, there are so many great restaurants in the Catskills that picking where to go, especially if you’re only here for a few days, can be an overwhelming task. So to make things easier, here’s a local cheatsheet and inventory of the best restaurants in the Catskills.
Fox N Hare (Port Jervis)
Fox N Hare is our favorite hangout spot for delicious food and craft beer made in NY. While Fox N Hare is a fully operational brewery, the food is just as tasty as the beer is, making it a perfect hangout spot for everyone for just about any occasion. Everything on the menu is delicious, but our goto dishes are the buffalo Brussel sprouts, the pimento cheeseburger and the black jack chicken sandwich. They also have great salads, if you’re looking for something a bit healthier.
Keep in mind Fox N Hare is closed on Monday and Tuesday as they brew their beer that day. It’s also located right in the heart of Port Jervis so leave time after your meal to explore the city and all the amazing shops in the area.
The Local Table and Tap (Kauneonga Lake)
The Local Table and Tap is our favorite restaurant for romantic dinners or special occasions when friends and family are in town. The restaurant is located right on the lake with stunning views of the water. To top it all off, the food is excellent and some of the freshest in the area. They specialize in locally sourced New American cuisine, craft beer and hand-made cocktails.
Reservations, particularly on busy summer nights, are necessary; be sure to request a table by the window or outside on the lakeside deck.
The Heron (Narrowsburg)
The Heron is the most famous restaurant in the Catskills and the best place to go when you’re looking for a farm-to-table dinning experience. We love the Heron for a brunch on the weekends or for a nice dinner outing in the evening. Every bite of your meal is a complete Epicurean delight, no matter what you order.
The Heron also has a great outdoor patio that overlooks the Delaware River at it’s deepest spot in Narrowsburg. They also have a great bar, if you want to just stop by for a quick drink and appetizer.
The Laundrette (Narrowsburg)
The Laundrette is a goto spot for any occasion. They specialize in wood fired, naturally leavened pizzas and fresh salads. Obviously you can’t go wrong with their pizzas but everything on the menu is worth a try. The soups are always excellent and whenever they have specials, you can rest assured it will be delicious. The Launderette, like the Heron, is located in Narrowsburg and has ample outdoor seating with views of the Delaware River.
Back To Bakers (Barryville)
Back to Bakers is a Catskills mainstay and our favorite spot for delicious comfort food. Fresh ingredients and artisanal food make this place an always good pick. You can feel see/taste the pride they put into their food here. They also have special every night, a full bar and a great shuffle board table. Definitely visit Back to Bakers if you’re looking for a low-key local hangout with awesome food minus the pretension.
Other Great Catskill Restaurants
Those places seem right for you? Here are some of our other favorite restaurants in the Catskills.
- Fogwood + Fig: A marvelous vegan restaurant in the heart of Port Jervis, Fogwood + Fig is always a good option. The menu is constantly updated with mouthwatering specials and even meat lovers will have to admit that Fogwood + Fig is absolutely delicious.
- The Delmonico Room: A pricy and luxurious restaurant that is great for summer nights because they have an outdoor patio right in the heart of the quaint town of Milford, PA.
- JJ Delicatessen: European deli with great prices and mouthwatering sandwiches; a great stop if you’re in a hurry and need to grab a bite fast.
- Erie Family Restaurant: A great pick for large groups, the Erie Restaurant in Port Jervis, has a huge selection of dishes and a lively scene of people at the restaurant and bar.
- Benji and Jakes: A gourmet pizza place with outdoor and indoor seating right on White Lake.
- Yanni’s Gyro Express: The best Greek food in Sullivan County at affordable prices; one of our favorite places to grab a casual bite that is just as tasty as it is affordable.
- Henning’s Local: A favorite farm-to-table restaurant with a nice atmosphere overlooking a baseball field. Our favorite fish here is definitely the sesame seared trout.
- Cochecton Firestation: A New York City-like cocktail bar with amazing bar eats, located as the name implies in an old firestation.
- Ba and Me: A Catskills restaurant favorite, with two locations, one in Mountain Dale and the other one in Callicoon, this is a great spot for Vietnamese food.