Top 3 Spots for Fresh Food
Monteleone Gardens is a year year-round hydroponic garden specializing in vegetables, lettuces, and herbs. We order food from here every week and it is some of the cleanest and freshest produce you’ll ever taste. We recommend ordering ahead. Since they pick the food the day you order it, sometimes the wait can be 30 minutes or so if you buy it in-person. 12 minute drive from Clearing Farm.
The Barryville Farmers’ Market is hosted every Saturday, 10am-1pm; May 21-Oct 29. It’s a must visit with a variety of local farms, vendors, and artisans as well as live music. It’s also situated right along the Delaware River so you can enjoy scenic views while you shop or have a morning coffee. Pro-tip: Arrive right at 10:00am to avoid the crowds and get all the best produce. 15 minute drive from Clearing Farm
Milford Farmers’ Market is hosted Sunday May 15 – October 9 in Milford, PA. This is a fun market with amazing vendors and live entertainment. It’s also situated in the quaint town of Milford, which is a great place to walk around and grab a bite to eat. 25 minute drive from Clearing Farm.
More Farmers’ Market
There are two other close farmers’ markets that happen on Saturday: the Narrowsburg Farmers’ Market and the Port Jervis Farmers’ Market. The Narrowsburg one is great and large and the Port Jervis one is efficient but only has a few vendors. On Sunday, there is the Callicoon Farmers’ Market, which is the only year-round farmers’ market in the area, and is defintely one of our favorites but we don’t frequently go because it’s about 40 minute drive from Clearing Farm.
Our Farm at Clearing Farm
Our farm is mainly focused on growing hops, the flowers that they brew beer with. However, we do have a some small vegetable gardens, a chicken coup, and fruit trees throughout the property that we cultivate for food. If you can’t make it to a farmers market ask for pricing and availability.
Local Markets/Convenience Stores
- Barryville General — a super cute, and super fun general store with all sorts of creative goods, fresh produce, and sandwiches. We love this place so much, but it can be quite expensive, so be forewarned.
- Pete’s Country Store — looking for a bag of ice? Beer? Some extra firewood? Maybe a bag of chips or some gum? Then Pete’s Country Store is your closest and best bet. They also have a CITGO gas station here if you need to fuel up.
- Forestburgh General Store — this general store is as cute as it is practical. Decorated in a truly beautiful way, this general store has all the essentials and a bunch of amazing upstate souvenirs. The Forestburgh General Store also has gourmet sandwiches and coffee. Download the menu here and be sure to call ahead so you don’t have to wait for your food.
- Green Valley Farms Market & Creamery — a wonderful market located on 588 Route 6 & 209 in Milford, Pennsylvania. Green Valley operates a farm and they use this outpost to sell their produce, meat and other unique products; this is a good place to visit if you can’t buy local food from us directly or missed a farmers’ market.
- Pecks Market is the closest grocery store in the area and is only about 15 minute drive. We love to buy local meat and produce from here when we can’t make it to the farmer’s market.
- ShopRite is a popular chain grocery store with everything you need, and only about 20 minutes away from the farm. This is a great grocery store to stop at if you’re coming in from New York City; perfectly along the way when you pull off the 84 highway from the city or Middletown. This one does not come up on GPS so you might need to enter the exact address: 111 Hulst Dr #711, Matamoras, PA 18336.
- Save A Lot is an economical grocery store to Clearing Farm and is geared at value shoppers. It’s a nice place to stop if you’re in a pinch and need to dash in to find food at a cheap price.