The Catskills and upstate NY has a vibrant craft beer scene as well as some of the best dive bars in the country. There are also more and more wineries popping up that use fresh ingredients sourced from New York and that often have great outdoor areas. Here is an overview of our favorite places to hit one back throughout Sullivan and Orange county to kick back a drink.
Best Bars in the Catskills
- Rohmans Bar — Perhaps the most famous bar in the Catskills for their amazing traditions and rich history. We love to go here, grab a pitcher of beer, and go bowling in their historical bowling alley.
- Bang Bang Bar — Part of the Stickett Inn, a boutique hotel in Barryville, the Bang Bang Bar is a cozy joint that only serves spirits, beers, and wines from New York state.
- Venture Inn — A dive bar that is truly a dive bar. Beers are cheap and shots flow liberally; the scene here is always down to drink, so proceed with caution…
- Dad’s Change of Pace — Another beloved dive bar in Port Jervis, with a much mellower scene than the Venture Inn.
- Hector’s Inn — Founded in 1948, a dive bar right outside of where the original Woodstock concert took place.
- Resorts World Catskills — A large casino with slots, poker, and table games and a 8+ uniquely themed bars spread throughout the casino floor.
Best Breweries In The Catskills
- Shred Fox Brewery — Shred Fox Brewery is a local favorite with two locations, a tap room in Glen Spey and fully operational brewery in Eldred. If you’re looking for a no-thrills place to drink all-natural, locally-grown and eat snacks, this is your place. Alternatively, Shred Fox Brewery is a great place to pick up a growler to bring back home.
- Fox N Hare — A large brewery located in the heart of of Port Jervis, Fox N Hare is a craft brewery with an eclectic range of seasonal and year-round beers. It’s also an incredible restaurant that serves great cocktails and wine if someone in your party dosen’t like beer.
- Callicoon Brewing Company — A brewery right in the center of Callicoon that is famous for their cow lager and cow porter. Their brewery also serves food and has ample bar games to play.
- Catskill Brewery — The Catskill Brewery in Livingston Manor is known for their fresh ales and lagers, all made with natural ingredients. This brewery also has a great outdoor sitting area making it a great place for large groups to stop on summer days.
- Pine Island Brewing Company — An Orange County brewery located in the famed Black Dirt Region, one of the most fertile farming areas in New York state, Pine Island Brewing Co. has a variety of tasty beers and a cozy taproom located in an old firehouse.
- Roscoe Beer Company — Located in Roscoe, NY otherwise known as Trout Town, USA, Roscoe Beer Company is a beloved Catskill brewery famous for their amber ale and outdoor beer garden area.
Best Catskill Wineries & Distilleries
- Warwick Valley Winery & Distillery — A major tourist destination for wine and cider tastings. Often a lively scene with tour busses bringing in people from New York City for a day of drinking in the country.
- Bashakill Vineyards — A winery with live music, food, and hiking trails throughout the vineyard.
- Prohibition Distillery — A brick warehouse in Roscoe, NY where they make New York gin, vodka, and bourbon. They offer tours of their distillery and have a great tasting room. One of the best part of this place is just how beautiful their vodka and gin bottles are.
- Catskill Distilling Company — Located close to where the original Woodstock, NY festival took place, this distillery always has a lively party going on in their dancing cat salon.
- Orange County Distillery — A massive estate where they do events and tours, and also make some of the most enjoyable spirits New York state has to offer.